Below you will find some of the highlights from our February iPad meeting. We were so pleased to have Professor Elizabeth Berro and Professor Barry Morris as faculty presenters. They shared the many exciting ways in which they have used the iPad to enhance their courses. Chris Levy of ITS, presented the topic of Dropbox–iWorks integration.
Professor Berro’s experiences:
Professor Berro applied for a grant which allowed 20 of her students to receive iPads. The iPads are used to support interactive learning in the classroom.
Some of Professor Berro’s goals include :
- entirely eliminating PowerPoint presentations
- minimizing lecture time
- enhancing group activities
iPad Application in NUR 422:
- Epocrates: reference for drug interactions
- In-class application: research various drug interactions
- Board Game Tools: timer, scorecard, dice
- In-class application: used for in-class quizzes and exercises
Professor Berro collaborated with textbook editors to make the course textbooks available in ebook format.
- In-class application: Students easily flip through the ebooks to look at diagrams and other important information.
Things She Liked About Using the iPad to Teach:
- ease with which she is able to find relevant apps
Professor Morris’ experiences:
Professor Morris’ students have a total of 10 iPads which encourages them to work in pairs. He has designed an interactive game which keeps his students engaged in the course content.
- GoodReader: limitations- can only annotate PDFs
- Tracing Paper: annotate pictures
- SoundNote: records lecture as audio, type/handwrite notes, then perform an audio search!!!
- DraftPad: is essentially a Notepad app
- WifiFinder: locates wifi in the area
- Idea Sketch: brainstorming app
- Instapaper: bookmarking tool
- FlipBoard: newsfeed aggregator
iPad Application in COM 481:
- Alternate reality game (role-play) with challenges
- Sources must be “earned” through puzzles, clues, interactions
- Apps Used:
- Geolocator: can email GPS coordinates from iPad
You can use DropDAV to save iWorks files to your Dropbox account.
- Sign up for DropDAV account, then link the DropDAV account to your Dropbox account
- Use DropDAV directly from iWork suite
- The server address is: https://dav.Dropdav.com
Contact Lawrence Robcke for information on app purchases
If you would like to appear as a faculty presenter at one of our upcoming iPad meetings, please feel free to contact Beth Gordon Klingner at firstname.lastname@example.org or Martina Blackwood at email@example.com. We look forward to seeing you at the next iPad meeting. The room location of the next iPad meeting will be posted as soon as that information is available.