An iPad Introduction for the Financially and Technologically Impaired

By: Veronica Goin

When Dr. Collins told our class that we would be using iPads for the semester, I couldn’t imagine a use for them (in or out of the classroom). I couldn’t conceive that I would learn to use one. And with my track record of clumsiness, I couldn’t imagine that I would make it through the semester without filing some awkward accident report for the device (still keeping my fingers crossed).

After a few weeks with the iPad, I have been quite pleasantly surprised. Though initially confusing, the iPad is generally straight-forward, and I have (slowly) learned to use it. The iPads are also very useful, not just in Creative Writing, but in other classes too (I plan essays, do research on the go, and even take notes using the iPad). I have also discovered that, despite my fear of not being able to keep the delicate technology alive all semester, so far the iPad and I remain unscathed.  My boyfriend reminded me to “Just treat it the way you treat a book. Not the way other people treat books, the way YOU treat books.” He and I use the iPad to play Words with Friends together (and help each other cheat; we’re not very good opponents). We also watch Frasier, using the Netflix app, and look for good hiking trails with a terrain map app. I get a word sent to me daily (complete with the word’s etymology) using the Merriam-Webster Dictionary app.

The iPad has proved itself to be both charming and useful. When asked if I would be willing to buy one on my own, once the semester is finished and my loaner has been returned, I am tempted, but they are prohibitively expensive. A large part of the lent iPad’s charm for me, comes from its lack of a price-tag. If Pace does offer a large-scale iPad program, I would strongly recommend providing them at a discounted rate (and applying Financial Aid considerations to the cost as well).

Sent from my iPad