The GoodReader app allows you to read PDF files on your iPad. GoodReader handles large PDF and TXT files, manuals, large books, magazines, and rendering of 100 mb and more with great speed. You will have the ability to mark up PDF’s because now you can use typewriter text boxes, sticky notes, lines, arrows, and freehand drawings on top of a PDF file. The latest version of GoodReader lets you sync your files with remote servers!
Compatible Sync Servers:
- Sugar Sync
- Any WebDAV or FTP server
Ultimately, the GoodReader app is one of those apps that make the iPad better. It is a very productive app that one can use in a variety of ways. How can you use the GoodReader app?
The price of this app is $4.99
The RDP Lite app allows you to have remote access to your computer through wifi or the phones network. If you choose to use your iPhone, you can connect to a Windows computer and see files, programs and resources exactly as you would find it on your computer.
How to Set Up RDP Lite:
- Enter your computer name into the IP address section (Please note that if you are not on the Pace network you have to use the VPN first, and then enter your computer.) Click here to set up your VPN.
- Enter 3389 into the workstation port
The Technique Of Fiction Writing app is a helpful and useful app for creative writing. This application has features such as:
- Page back and forward controls
- Table Contents
- Bookmarking- Each time you leave the app it automatically holds the spot where you left off.
If you are interested in taking your writing skills to a higher level, take advantage of the topics that this app will cover.
- Portrayal of Character
- The Short Story
- The Novel
- Executive Technique of Narration
The cost for this application is $1.99
Have you thought of ways you can become a better creative writer?
Today I will be discussing a science app called molecules. This app is exactly as the names states, it is a 3-D diagram of different molecules. With the touch of your finger you control, interact with and move the 3-D molecules on the screen. You can zoom in and out by ‘pinching’ around the image. You can easily manipulate the angle and size of the molecule simply by using your fingers.
Another neat feature is that you can go into the Data Bank and download additional molecules and their 3 dimensional structures to continue learning about various molecular structures. You also have access to in depth information ranging from the amino acid or nucleotide sequence to the researchers who have studied and established the molecules structure. You can select from several visualization. Another feature with the iPad version of the app is the ability to drag new molecular structures directly to your device via iTunes. Just go to the Applications tab, scroll to the bottom of the screen and select the icon for Molecules.
The first iPad users group meeting was help December 6th on the NYC campus and December 7th in Pleasantville, were you in attendance? If you missed the meeting or you were unable to retain the wealth of information dispensed at the meeting, please read the meeting highlights in the recap below.
- iWork is an collection of apps that consists of Pages(Word equivalent), Keynote(PowerPoint equivalent), and Numbers(Excel equivalent).
- iTunes U provides access to free downloadable educational material
- The Elements (Periodic Table-3D) is a useful application for the Health Science department
- Shakespeare Pro application is a compilation of works by William Shakespeare
- Dropbox is an online file storage
- Conference Pad requires multiple iPads and is useful for synchronized presentation viewing.
Useful information regarding the iPad
- It is recommended that to successfully and quickly charge your iPad do NOT charge your iPad through your computer using a USB cable, instead charge your iPad using the adapter provided.
- If you have downloaded the latest operating system for the iPad, the rotation lock button does NOT perform the function of locking your screen in place. The rotation lock button has been transformed into the mute button.
- If you have not already done so, please remember to update your iPad operating system to iOS 4.2. The new features include multitasking, folder organization, Air Print, and Air Play. We will discuss these features in a future blog post.
- It was recommended that all iPad users put a security code on their iPads (Please refer to our previous blog post for instructions,)
- In order to connect your iPad to a projector you need to personally purchase a VGA cable or contact the technology department to submit a request to use a VGA connector. Please remember only certain apps are compatible with this feature, so projection may not be available with your selected app.
- Wyss Pocket Cloud is VGA compatible and is useful for VPN remote connection access.
- Pace has a volume purchasing program which enables iPad users to purchase iPad apps at a price that has been significantly reduced. Currently, Pace has a few apps available at discounted prices. Our strength lies in numbers, so when you find an exciting app feel free to find others willing to purchase the app. If volume purchasing is available for your specific app, and we hit the magic number of buyers (this may vary from app to app), the University can add that app to the volume purchasing program.
There will be other iPad user group meetings in the future, so when the details of the Spring semester meeting have been made available we will post that information on this blog.
Once again feel free to contact your nearest IMO team or ITS with any questions you may have regarding your iPad.
The Flash Card Deluxe iPad application is a great way to study and quiz students using electronic flash cards.
- 3 sided cards
- Slide show
- Division of cards into categories
- Three response levels of: “Wrong”, “I don’t know, and “I know really well”
It also includes built-in dictionary features that allow you to find cards easily and look up terms as you study. Two smart study modes are also a part of this application, which will automatically focus on the cards that you have missed. This application is easy to follow and has an introduction/tutorial that explains all of its features. Flash cards or “decks” can be customized and transferred through this link . This application can be used on iPhones and iPods as well. Faculty members can also connect their iPad to classroom projectors using a VGA adapter, allowing you to share the flash cards you created with students. This feature could also help with making the class interactive during review sessions.
Flash Card Deluxe may be useful to many students from a variety of academic disciplines. The price for this application is $3.99.
How many ways can you use the flash card app in your classroom?
We are starting an App of the Week series and the first app we will be covering is Dragon Naturally Speaking. Dragon is a very useful dictation app. This app is simple to use and it can be useful to faculty and students in a wide range of disciplines. You can find this free app in the iPad store. Once you have downloaded the app and it appears on your desktop, you are ready to use Dragon. Continue reading